2.26.2011

DISGUST

"Records state that four photographs in the phone's memory chip showed the violation of the youngster wearing a diaper and a yellow sun dress while she rode in a dark blue stroller..." - Article

When I read this headline it took a lot to continue on to the rest of the article. The most eloquent of speakers and craftiest of writers would and should have a hard time coming up with the right words to adequately express the emotion that ran through them after hearing a story like this. Now, I watch enough news to know that unfortunately his isn’t exactly a once in a generation crime, but no matter how many times you hear about something like this, it hits you in a way as if it was the first time you’d ever heard of such a crime.
I don’t necessarily subscribe to the whole “end of days”, doomsday, revelations mode of thinking that’s becoming increasingly popular these days, however, incidents like this definitely help me understand why others believe it. Someone who would do this to a child is deeply troubled and in a dark, evil place and my first inclination is to consider how he became that way. Whatever psychological explanation or social dysfunction you want to apply to this sicko, there’s no denying that somehow, someway, the society he grew up in, the society we’re raising our children in had a part in his transformation from a man to a monster. That’s what really worries me.
Evil men, monsters, whatever you like to call them have been around forever but is it me or are they rearing their ugly heads more and more these days? I don’t know, maybe thanks to forensics and modern technology we’re just better at catching them. Either way every time one pops up on the news or the police blotter it paints another ugly stroke of the world we live in. As a father of two (including a two year-old) words can’t really express how this article makes me feel. I can only hope I’m wrong about my assessment that we live in a world that cultivates these kinds of monsters; that guys like Grzybowicz are an extreme example of what’s out there and not an example of what could be living right next door.  

~Cp

No comments:

Post a Comment